So after recent reading and researching, I decided to improve our homemade bread through buying grain, grinding it, and properly storing it until I use all that I ground. [As I told De, I want to be the Little Red Hen.] To make a long story short there are about 16 more nutrients in the bread when the
flour is used within hours of being ground, or ground and frozen.
So, here is what I decided to do...
I bought a grain mill (combining Christmas and birthday money I received) and a 50 pound bag of hard wheat berries; and I ground some wheat into flour! Pretty cool, I think! I did have trouble deciding where and how to store it... Which brought me back to a food storage device I haven't used in a while because of lack of kitchen space... a whole other post could be devoted to that!
Anyway, I pulled out the Food Saver and got to sealing the bags and filling them with berries. And at the end of the night, I had all 50 pounds vacuum-packed and ready for long-term basement storage.
So, here is what I decided to do...
I bought a grain mill (combining Christmas and birthday money I received) and a 50 pound bag of hard wheat berries; and I ground some wheat into flour! Pretty cool, I think! I did have trouble deciding where and how to store it... Which brought me back to a food storage device I haven't used in a while because of lack of kitchen space... a whole other post could be devoted to that!
Since grinding grain I have made all our bread with fresh flour, some muffins, and pizza dough. I tried out a cracker recipe but that really flopped (I don't really know why).
No comments:
Post a Comment