April 11, 2014

world map for the school room

Long ago (when I was pregnant with Lillian) I saw a world map fabric and commented that it would be great for our school room.  Our dear Granny purchased it and some other accent fabric and gave it to me thereafter.  I tucked it away as we were packing to move... thinking it would be great somehow in our new schoolroom :)

After having moved in we purchased window treatments for most rooms and I decided to make them into a curtain, as we don't have lots of wall space in our schoolroom, but lots of windows.  One huge window especially.  So I put the world map in the center and the cities around it with sashing between.  Of course I had a terrible time the first several tries in getting the white sashing fabric to lay flat and not pucker.  My quilting aunt suggested linen, and that has worked much better.  I finished it recently and De helped me hang it the night I completed it. (actually at the exact time my 95 year old grandmother died---she loved to sew and made all her children's clothes when they were young. How special that I was sewing when she left this earth!)


The boys love it and were so cute when they came into the school room.  Hugging each other and pointing out the continents they recognized.  We'll learn more the longer it is there!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment